We are often asked if there are advantages to using a power toothbrush. While the best toothbrush is whichever one you will be sure to use regularly, here are some benefits we have seen from power toothbrushes.
- Sonic toothbrushes operate at a high speed velocity resulting in 30,000 – 40,000 strokes per minute compared to 600 strokes per minute with a regular toothbrush, according to WebMD. Power electric toothbrushes provide 3,000 – 7,500 rotating strokes per minute. This allows for greater plaque removal.
- Power toothbrushes are better able to get between teeth to help with preventing cavities that form from lodged food particles there. Flossing is still important to remove all particles.
- Power toothbrushes help to prevent overly zealous hard brushing that can result in gum irritation and recession.
- Most power toothbrushes come with a built in timer that serves as a reminder to keep brushing for the two minutes that is recommended.
- A 2003 Cochrane Oral Health Group study demonstrated that power toothbrushes using rotation oscillation decreased gingivitis by 17% over a three month period of time when compared against regular toothbrushes.
You can buy a power toothbrush at your local Walmart or Target store or at Amazon.com. You do not have to use a sonic toothbrush to maintain good oral hygiene. If you choose to continue with a regular toothbrush, keep these tips in mind:
- Always use a soft bristle brush,
- Set a timer on your watch or phone to remind yourself to brush for a full two minutes,
- Hold your brush at a 45 degree angle to your teeth and gum line and brush in circles and
- Focus on brushing every surface of every tooth.
Whichever type of toothbrush you choose, remember to brush at least twice daily, floss and visit your dentist on a regular basis.