Tooth color is effected by many factors, including your genes and the aging process. While you cannot control your genetic make-up or stop yourself from aging, there are several steps you can take to keep your teeth their whitest.
1. Eliminate tobacco use.
2. Limit your intake of coffee, tea and soda. It is common for people to sip these beverages throughout their entire day exposing teeth to these stain causing agents for hours at a time. A better practice is to drink one or two servings and then brush afterwards rather than exposing your teeth to these beverages throughout the day. Cold liquids can be sipped through a straw to better protect teeth’s exposure.
3. Brush after eating dark berries, soy sauce and curry. Dark berries like blueberries are wonderful for your overall health so I would not advise eliminating these foods.
4. Limit your intake of wine. Red wine is a known culprit of teeth staining, but recent studies have shown that white wine can also effect tooth color by wearing down the enamel.
5. Brush your teeth after every meal and after consuming stain causing foods.
6. Floss your teeth daily. Teeth can display a great deal of staining at their edges where teeth meet. This is due to a build-up of plaque that can be avoided by flossing between teeth.
7. Have your teeth professionally cleaned at least twice a year.
8. If you are concerned about the color of your teeth, talk to your dentist about safe and effective teeth whitening options.